Saturday, May 12, 2012

Don't Count the Days; Make the Days Count.

I got to fly to Columbus, GA last weekend to see Tyler at Ft. Benning and it was so amazing to see him. I didn't want to leave at all, and the second goodbye was definitely more difficult that our first. I got there on Friday afternoon and I wasn't supposed to see him until Saturday morning's graduation ceremony, but luckily, and thankfully, since he is prior service, he was released that Friday and didn't have to be a part of the ceremony. We were only supposed to have a 36 hour pass, but we technically got about 48 hours; which was so very much appreciated. I got to meet some of the guys that he has been telling me a little bit about, and got to get more of a feel for the base life. The first night we went out to eat at Longhorns Steakhouse and we both got a pretty awesome steak. Unfortunately for me, I was sick and by the time it was ready to eat... the thought of meat repulsed me... as did the salad, stuffed mushrooms, spinach dip, and baked potato that came with it... Tyler got a second meal though, so it all turned out to be quite ok. Afterwards, we drove back to the hotel and just relaxed, which in all honesty, was my favorite part of the whole trip: when we were just laying in bed watching a show cuddling :D The next day was pretty much spent on Tyler buying neccessary items for future courses that he wasn't able to buy on base. Speaking of base...we got lost...a lot on that base. It was funny because Tyler always says, "Don't worry! I've got the best sense of navigation out of anyone you know!", yet we were lost the majority of the time... and I was the one who figured how to get out of the mess. Yup, that's my husband! ;) Seriously, the whole weekend we were both laughing nonstop. I loved it! Sunday morning we slept in, and then ventured out to get some breakfast and then to finish up last minute boot shopping for him. He had to be back at 20:00, so after relaxing more in the hotel, I dropped him off at around 19:45. I always feel incredibly stupid when it's time to say goodbye because I look like a sobby little baby. lol I try to hold it back, but I've just come to terms that it ain't gonna happen and the water works will play... a lot. After I finally left base, I met up with another wife that I had met over Facebook whose husband is also going through training right now. She is from Colorado, and it was really nice to meet someone who is going through the same thing as me. Oh yeah, she is also expecting and is my age, so that was also nice to relate to! We both found out AFTER our husband left, so that was a funny coincidence. After we talked for a bit, I went back to the hotel for my last night in GA alone. The day I was leaving was really odd. I had never felt so at home in a place so foreign. That is the reason I did not want to leave Georgia...because I felt at home, even though I couldn't see Tyler again for a month. I really think that it had to do with the fact that everything there was military, and nothing here really is besides the few national guardsmen and reservist we have. I felt like because there was so much military culture, I was actually a part of Tyler's life...unlike here, where nothing is really related to the active lifestyle of the military. I guess you can say I feel disconnected here. This is sad, and I'm definitely not looking for a pity party, but our apartment doesn't even feel much like home anymore. I still have everything exactly in the same place as before he left, like pictures and such, but it's such an odd and lonely environment. I have never been able to say that I feel like I would feel more at home in a completely new town with no one I know, as opposed to here, with everything and everyone I know at my fingertips; however, I want exactly that. I want to be really close to base even if I can't be with Tyler right now, and I want to be able to see the lifestyle that will soon become my own, even if it means that I am temporarily alone. I'll leave with some of the photos that I got over the last weekend. Thanks to you all that still follow though I've been gone for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment